JUSTIN MARTYR PARISH SCHOOL
St. Justin Martyr Parish School first opened its doors in September 1959 with 300 students in Grades 1, 2, and 3 and five lay teachers. The next year, at the invitation of Fr. Hugh O’Connor founding pastor of St. Justin Martyr Church, the Felician sisters arrived. One grade was added each year until 1964 at which time the school included grades 1 through 8. The first graduation class, in 1965, consisted of two classes containing a total of 85 students. To date, more than 2,200 students have graduated from St. Justin Martyr Parish School.
A kindergarten class was added in 1983 and a transitional kindergarten in 2014.
The Felician sisters maintained supervision of the school and provided their administrative and teaching services until June 1993 when, due to lack of vocations, it was no longer possible for the Felician Community to provide teaching sisters. Since then, the administrative and teaching staff have been composed of an all-lay staff.
The Diocese of Orange was formed in 1976 at which time St. Justin Martyr School became a part of this new Diocese and was no longer part of the Archdiocese of Los Angeles.
A P.T.O. Board was established in 1981 and a School Board in 1988. The P.T.O. is primarily the fundraising arm of the school and the School Board (whose name was changed to Consultative Board) is an advisory board to the administration. Both boards continue to this day.
St. Justin Martyr Parish School has a long and strong history in the Anaheim community and serves a multicultural student body. Many physical changes have taken place over the years, but the school’s mission remains the same.
In addition to St. Justin Martyr Parish, St. Justin Martyr Parish School serves families in the parishes of St. Boniface, St. Anthony Claret, St. Juliana, and St. Mary.