WELCOME TO 2ND GRADE!
About Miss Parent
My name is Haley Parent. I am super excited to be teaching here at St. Justin Martyr! I went to Beatitudes of Our Lord in La Mirada for elementary and middle school. I then went on to La Mirada High School and then to Cal State Fullerton for my undergrad and credential. I am currently perusing my master at Grand Canyon University.
I come from a very big family and I am very involved with all of my family members.
I recently adopted a basset hound named Wyatt. I also have a baby tortious name Walle.
I love the outdoors (camping, hiking, backpacking).
I have been surfing and skiing since I was little.
My dog Wyatt takes up a majority of my free time.
Disneyland is my favorite place to be, when I am not at school.
Anything to do with the beach
- Use kind words
- Help when you can.
- Share and take turns.
- Listen to what others have to say.
- Be honest.
- Think before you speak.
- Remember your manners.
- Be aware of your emotions.
- Think about the feelings of others .
- Work and play safely .
- 8:00-8:10: Attendance and morning work
- 8:10-8:15: Morning meeting and announcements
- 8:15-9:15: Reading (Wonders)
- 9:15-10:00: Writing (Writers Workshop)
- 10:00-10:15: Snack/recess
- 10:15-11:30: Math workbook and math rotations (ST Math)
- 11:30- 12:00: Spelling/Independent reading time
- 12:00-12:40: Lunch
- 12:40-1:15: Religion
- 1:15-2:00: Social Studies or Science
- 2:00-2:45: Art
- 2:45-3:00: Clean up and dismissal
P.E., Choir and Church
- P.E. Days- Tuesday at 12:45-1:15 (FULL P.E. DRESS)
Thursday at 11:30-12:00 (FULL P.E. DRESS)
- Choir- Mondays at 2:10
- Music- Mondays from 11:30-12:00
- Church- Friday at 8:30 (FULL UNIFORM)
- A daily color chart is used to keep track of your child’s behavior. Each child will start the day with his/her clothespin on the green: ready to learn section. As students make good choices, they will move their clips up one section at a time to dark blue: great effort, light blue: excellent choices, or purple: outstanding.
- If your child ends the day on green, dark blue, or light blue he/she will get a punch on his/her behavior punch card indicating to you that he/she had a good day! Once their punch card is full they may turn it in for a prize in the treasure box.
- If your child ends the day on purple (outstanding) they will receive a “Did Your Best” ticket. The student will put the ticket stub into the bucket to be able to win a prize at the end of the week from the treasure chest.
- If students make bad choices, they will move their clips down one section at a time to yellow: think about it, orange: make a better choice, or red: parent contact. A warning will be given before he/she is asked to move his/her clip down. Students have until pack-up time to move their clip up. If your child ends his/her day on yellow, orange, or red he/she will not receive a stamp, but will receive a letter, “Think Sheet” to indicate the reason.
- The “Think Sheet” is a form that is filled out by the student. If he/she moves their clip down to orange they will fill out the “Think Sheet” and give it to me. If the student is on red the student will fill out another “Think Sheet”. The student will have to get the “think Sheet” signed only if they end their day on red. If they move up throughout the day I will keep their think sheets on file and they will receive the reward that they deserve.
- Please note that for a serious misbehavior, I reserve the right to clip the student down to which ever color is most appropriate.
Responsible Behavior Grades
- Student Learning Assessment (SLA) grades for Responsible Behavior are partially determined by the color that your child is on at the end of the day. The Responsible Behavior grade has 5 categories: service, respect, responsibility, self-discipline, and honesty. Each day students have the opportunity to earn 1 point in each category. If students end the day on a “not good” color, he/she will lose point(s) for self-discipline and honesty. The points in the other categories are determined by the behavior that students display daily and throughout the week. At the end of each week, students can earn up to 25 points, 5 points in each category. These points will be entered weekly on Sycamore.
- Class Dojo is an application and website. Class Dojo allows for me to award your student with positive point and negative points.
- Once you are logged in to the app or website you can view your child’s points and will be able to see exactly why your child receive a negative or positive point.
- Once the students earn a certain amount of positive points they are able to receive the prize associated with the number of points.
- One of the best things about Class Dojo is that parents and I can communicate by instant messaging through the app. I usually respond very quickly and at any time through the app. Please feel free to message me at any time with any questions through Class Dojo.
- I can also send a mass message to everyone in the class to remind you of any up coming events or things going on within our classroom
- I will be giving positive or negative points based on how they ended their day.
- Green = 1 point Orange = 0 points
- Dark blue = 2 points Yellow = 1 point taken away
- Light blue = 3 points Red = 2 points taken away
- Purple = 5 points
- The students will set a class a class dojo goal. When the class reaches the amount of positive dojo points they will receive a whole class reward. The reward can be free time, a treat, extra recess, dance party, etc.
- Various individual assignments will be assigned each day. This work is to be done independently or with assistance if needed. If, by the work collection time, some work is still not complete, the student will place that work in his/her “classwork” folder. If you see incomplete work that is attached to the Friday Work Slip, please make sure your child completes the work and turns it in by the following Tuesday.
- Starting next Monday, your child will receive a weekly homework log in their “homework folder”. This is not a packet! This log will inform you of the entire weeks homework, but homework is given daily and should be returned the following day. On the back of the homework log is the weekly reading log. Students are to read 20 minutes a night and have a parent sign the reading log each night. If there is any missing work the portion that is missing will be highlighted meaning this portion of homework is missing. If your child needs an extra log, please let me know. If your child is ill, the log is to be returned within one week after returning to school. Students will be given one exception per Trimester for late homework. The second time homework is late, a point will be subtracted from the student’s weekly commitment AND leadership scores.
- Homework is partially used to determine your child’s Work Habits/Study Skills grade. The Work Habits/Study Skills grade has 5 categories: commitment, fairness, leadership, courtesy, and kindness. Each day students have the opportunity to earn 1 point in each category. The points in the other categories will be determined by the habits and skills that students display daily and throughout the week. At the end of each week, students can earn up to 25 points, 5 points in each category. These points will be entered weekly on Sycamore.
- Nightly homework for now will include math pages (ripped out from book), spelling activity, and reading. NO HOMEWORK ON THE WEEKEND!
- There will be some small projects, but there will be a separate paper sent home well in advance.
- Your child’s grades are based on a combination of oral and written work, and tests. I will use the following grading scale to determine your child’s grades.
- Outstanding (O): 90%-100%
- Satisfactory (S): 70%-89.99%
- Needs Improvement (N): 0%-69.99%
Most assignments will be marked with the percentage that was earned and the letter that correlates to the percentage. Your child’s grades are determined by averaging the percentages together in each subject.
A check mark will be given on assignments that are completed for credit only. For example there will be some assignments that are completed together or in groups that will be given credit for being completed. On these assignments students will earn either a check mark, or stamp based on how well the assignment was completed.
- I will send home notes on a regular basis in your child’s Homework folder. The right side of the folder is for papers that either stay in the folder (such as your child’s behavior punch card and homework log) or papers that are to be turned in (such as notes for me or the office). The left side of the folder is for papers that are being sent or returned to you.
- Please check your child’s folder daily and look through all papers on both sides of the folder. Read all notes and review all papers that are on the left side.
- Each Friday I will send home a stack of your child’s work that has been corrected. I will attach a form called the Friday Work Slip to the stack which will indicate whether or not all of the work in the stack has been completed. Please review all the assignments in the stack (they are then yours to keep unless they still need to be finished or completed), have your child complete any incomplete work, sign, and return the form (along with any work that was incomplete) by Tuesday.
- If you have any questions or concerns for me, please do not hesitate to contact me. The best way to communicate with me is through Class Dojo or email. I check my email daily and I will respond to you within 24 hours. My email address is firstname.lastname@example.org . You can also send me a note in your child’s folder, or call the school.
- If your child is going to be absent for any reason, please call the school to notify us. Your child will be responsible for making up any missed work due to absence. Missed assignments should be requested through the school office (you can do this when you call the absence in). If you do not request your child’s work, I will collect it and give it to your child when he/she returns. The homework log from the week your child is absent is due within a week. If you know in advance that your child will be absent, please let me know and I will do my best to get you the work that will be missed. Any tests that are missed will be made-up within a day or two of your child’s return to school. In the case of any absence, according to state law, your child will not be admitted back into class without a written excuse (even if you already called the school office to indicate your child’s absence).
- The class and I would love to help celebrate your child’s birthday! Your child will receive a birthday postcard, and the class and I will sing “Happy Birthday”. If you would like to send in treats to help celebrate, please let me know the day before. The class will get to enjoy the treat at morning recess. Please make sure the treat is PEANUT FREE, and individualized so that it is easy to pass out.
- Please follow the dress code in the Parent-Student Handbook. Your child has P.E. on Tuesday and Thursday (unless otherwise specified) and should therefore wear his/her P.E. uniform on those days. The monthly school calendar and the weekly IT will specify if your child should wear Full Uniform Dress for certain occasions. Every Friday we will attend school Mass, and your child will need to wear Full Uniform Dress on those days. Please remind your child to always have his/her shirt tucked in. Make sure that all of your child’s clothing is clearly marked with his/her name. Clothing that is not marked and not claimed, will be put in the lost and found in the daycare room. Your child also needs to be able to tie his/her shoes.
Snacks, Lunch and Water
- Please pack a healthy snack and lunch for your child. Send your child’s snack with your child’s name or number clearly marked on it. Please send your child’s lunch with him/her each day. Late delivery is for emergencies only.
- I recommend that you send water with your child. If you send a water bottle with your child, please label it with your child’s name.
- You may pick up your child in the hall at dismissal time, but I do need to know when they are leaving and who the are leaving with. Please inform me if someone different is picking up your child. The students have to sit behind the cone and once they are all seated then I will be able to dismiss each student once I see who is here for them.
- If you send any form of money to school with your child, please put it in an envelope that is clearly marked with your child’s name, grade, and what the money is for.
2nd Grade Activities
- When there is a field trip or party for our class I will send a note home well in advance in the students’ homework folder with the opportunity for parents/family to volunteer.
- First Reconciliation and Fist Holy Communion!
- I am going to be working with the principal to make sure that these sacraments are treated as serious and important events in your child’s life. The date we have scheduled for First Holt Communion is Sunday May 19th, 2018 at 2pm. I will be sending home a fly with everything you will need to know about Frist Holy Communion and all dates associated.